Local SBA experts with faster results and a better experience.
CMCU is designated as a Preferred Lender with the Small Business Administration (SBA).
This allows us to provide expedited credit decisions and processing for our members. SBA loans can provide flexible financing options that include fully amortized longer loan terms with no balloon payment, lower monthly payments, and lower down payments. Being an SBA Preferred Lender provides CMCU the authority to approve, process and service SBA loans without having to first obtain SBA approval.
Small businesses can utilize SBA loans for owner occupied commercial real estate purchases, equipment purchases, payment of operating expenses, starting up a new business, purchasing a business and more.
SBA loans are guaranteed by the government and offer advantages such as lower down payments and flexible repayment terms. As an SBA Preferred Lender, our CMCU commercial lending team has experience to guide you through your options and suggest the SBA program that best fits your financing needs. Credit decisions, processing and servicing of our CMCU SBA loans are completed locally.
Award-Winning SBA Credit Union
As the largest commercial-lending credit union in Minnesota, CMCU has been recognized year after year for our commitment to small business success. In 2020, CMCU was identified as the Minnesota credit union with the highest participation in the SBA 7(a) loan program. Learn more at the SBA website.
Thank you to our Member Small Businesses for your trust in CMCU to provide SBA loan products to meet your financial needs, we truly appreciate the opportunity.
Our partnership with SBA allows the CMCU team to make credit decisions on loan applications locally which leads to efficient processing.
As the largest commercial-lending credit union in Minnesota, CMCU has the ability to offer more competitive rates and terms for business loans.
Our local Commercial Banking Officers work directly with you to build a relationship and help determine the right solutions for your business.
SBA Loans For Any Business
Our Commercial Banking Officers will help you finance SBA loans for any situation. No matter if your business is small or large, our team offers guidance throughout the entire process to get you on track to your goals. Small Business Administration (SBA) Financing can be used for businesses in need of financial assistance for the following:
Fund Start-Up Operations
Consolidating Higher-Interest Debt
Refinance Existing Debt to a Longer Term
Grow or Expand a Business
Commercial Real Estate Purchase (Owner-Occupied)
Line of Credit Needs up to $350,000 (Up to $1 Million through 12/31/2020)
SBA Loan Programs
CMCU works with your business to determine the right program for your needs.
SBA 7(a) Loans
- Can be used for almost any business need except a line of credit
- Maximum Loan Amount $5,000,000
- Flexible loan terms (longer maturities and less money down)
- Loan Term (Maturity) Up to 25 years for commercial real estate and up to 10 years for all other purposes
- Can combine multiple uses into one loan (Real Estate, equipment, Working Capital etc.)
- No Guarantee Fee to borrowers
- Potential of 6 payments made on lender's behalf by SBA
- Click here for application form
SBA Express Loan Program
The SBA Express loan program is ideal for businesses in need of a line of credit.
The maximum loan amount is $350,000 however it has been increased up to $1,000,000 through 12/31/20.
SBA 504 Loan Program
The SBA 504 loan program can be used to build, refinance, construct or purchase commercial real estate or larger equipment.
The SBA 504 loan program financing is through both CMCU (50%) and a Certified Development Company (40% - SBA Portion), with a 10% borrower injection. An increased borrower injection is required for a startup businesses or if the commercial property is deemed to be special-purpose real estate per SBA guidelines.
- The interest rate for the SBA 504 (CDC) portion of the loan is very competitive.
- Borrow equity injection can be as little as 10%.
- SBA 504 maximum loan amount is $5,000,000. Project can be higher.
- Terms are up to 25 years for commercial real estate and up to 10 years for machinery or equipment.
SBA's Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program (EIDL)
The loans are designed to assist businesses who suffered working capital losses due to the coronavirus pandemic. Proceeds can assist with making fixed debt payments, payroll, Accounts payable, lease payments, insurance etc.
Applications for the loans are made directly to SBA, not CMCU. Loan payments are also made directly to SBA. Learn more about the program by clicking here.
- $2,000,000 Maximum Loan Amount (Including affiliate entities)
- 3.75% APR (Non-Profit: 2.75% APR)
- Up to 30 year term - based on individual credit approval
- No payments for the first 11 months
- No collateral required for loans of $25,000 or less
SBA Paycheck Protection Program
Click here for more information.
Financial Information Required for SBA Loans
- Tax Returns – Three years for guarantors and/or all individuals who own 20% or more of the business.
- Personal Financial Statement (Joint with Spouse) within 90 days (SBA form 413)
- Business Tax Returns – Three years with all supporting schedules.
- Year to State Interim Financials (Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet within 120 days.
- Projections – 2 years of projection are required if your business is less than 3 years old. For a new start-up business, the first year of projections need to be month to month.
- If an owner has a controlling interest in another business, provide the last three years of tax returns and interim financials.
Business Acquisition Loan
- Seller Business Tax Returns – Three years with all supporting schedules.
- Seller Year to date Interim Financials (Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet within 120 days)
- Purchase Agreement
Additional Information to Submit
- SBA Application (view application information under program details)
- Business Plan – Startup business or business acquisition
- Business Debt Schedule
- Franchise Disclosure Document (FDD) and Franchise Agreement for franchise purchases
Fill out our online form with some information about your business and the products or services of interest. Your local Commercial Banking Officer will be in touch within 1-2 business days.
Locate a Branch
You can open a business account or loan at any CMCU location. Each location has a designated Commercial Banking Officer, but we recommend you call ahead to make an appointment.
We have a dedicated phone line for business members which will help you reach someone who can help faster and save you precious time.
Business and Commercial Loan Options
Check out some of the other business loan options available with CMCU:
Additional Products and Services for Businesses
Check out all of your other options you can utilize with CMCU's suite of business products and services! Our business team will work with you individually to ensure you're on track to reaching your business goals.